Monday, July 13, 2009

The weekend was looong.

Friday:

-got stuck on the 520 bridge because they let a few boats through. At first it seemed annoying but then I was like... why even stay in the car? So it created some photo ops that you'd otherwise never have, like taking a picture of sitting in the middle of 520 West across Lake Washington. And I swear I was the first one to cross over the median and after that a ton of people were going over there. We were on our way to the theater in Kirkland to watch Bruno, so it was a problem with time, so Brandon used his handy iPhone to figure out when we could go see it somewhere else and we figured it'd be done in time to make it to the Crossroads. We were on the bridge for probably 30 minutes, my candy did not make it to the theater, a new records I suppose. Bruno was pretty funny. Not as funny as Borat, but there was one scene that was hilarious, the one where he pretends to do a bunch of stuff to Milli (from Milli Vanilli). Then as we were leaving this fucking group of kids got into a Bentley, wtf, probably younger than me. 520 was closed so we had to go around the lake. After that I think I fell asleep 10 or 15 minutes into Blue Velvet.

Saturday

Went to Target to get a can of recharge for my AC. It was $23 and it has been working so far. I haven't had AC for ages. Kind of an adventure getting that to work, it was a little bit scary because I've never seen it done and it's something most people have done professionally, but I did alright. After that I went for a run at Green Lake. It was as packed as it has ever been. They were doing some sort of Seafair thing, which I find weird because "Seafair" is the last weekend of July. After that Brandon and I went to Derek's for UFC and BBQ. UFC was cool, BBQ was freaking awesome. The ribs were amazing, way better than the stuff that gets brought in for lunch (Longhorn BBQ and Famous Dave's). Then Derek boxed Restreppo, that was a hoot. The day was good to that point, but then we went out and it was just boring... I didn't feel like drinking and we were in Lakewood. I don't know... I drove Brandon's car home, got home around 2:30 and hit the hay.

Sunday

Went to Target again, this time to get pictures developed and a board to put them on. Saw Jeremy and Andy, talked to both of them briefly. They had a sign for the "Pens" section and someone wrote an "i" in there (on both sides of the sign, too). Also went grocery shopping. Does the sun make people go shopping more? There are a ton of people out, just not outside, it's odd to me. After that I put together a new board of photos, most of them from the first half of the year and put that up. Burned a few movies. Worked out again doing the max in 10 minutes method. Added 10 reps to each exercise and I feel pretty good today, a lot better than I did Thrusday. So now the records are...

80 curls (70 lbs.) in 10 minutes
210 sit ups in 10 minutes
120 push ups in 10 minutes

The sit ups were the easiest even though there was the least rest time in between reps. The curls got very difficult at the end, had to switch hand positions for the last few reps and I didn't even feel very good a quarter of the way there. The push ups were definitely the most difficult. Even though I can still do 50 push ups, they are not nearly as easy as they used to be for me. It's like before I could handle push ups mentally and physically, but now I can only handle them physically, I kind of hate doing them.

After that I watched Blue Velvet to about 1:20 (in the movie) and gave up and fell asleep. That movie is f'n weird, not in a bad way though. Having watched it as much as I have, though, I'm kind of annoyed by this post I read. I was reading this person's article of "10 movies that will blow your mind" and American Beauty was on the list. Then someone responded by saying "American Beauty is a masterpiece of a movie", I agree! Then this pretentious asshole was like "I don't think it's fair to call it a masterpiece when the story has been done quite well several times before in this, this, this and this all better than American Beauty." Well, Blue Velvet was the most recent of the "same stories". Just because the movie is a take on suburban life and includes a lolita aspect as well as adultery does not mean it's the same as American Beauty. I would not even compare the movies, nevertheless say that American Beauty is a copycat of Blue Velvet.

Shit, the more I think about it, the more I think I can actually say American Beauty is my favorite movie. I think whenever you say you have a favorite movie, it's like you're giving it too much credit, like favorite movies are for kids and irrational people. Maybe that's the case, but it is my favorite movie right now. It just has the perfect blend of comedy, philosophy, characters and it keeps you engaged. What makes it even more credible is that I saw the movie by myself. I would imagine other people are the same, but I can only speak for myself when saying I think that when I have a good time seeing a movie, I may like the movie more than I normally would, say, if I saw it by myself. Best in Show, Princess Mononoke, Princess Bride, I Heart Huckabees, Old School... I'm sure there are more but those are movies that for some reason or another I had a particularly pleasurable experience watching. Hell, even The Protector, which I can remember maybe 5 minutes of, I am fond of the movie.

Movie count: 464
That is, all of my movies plus all DVDs of TV Shows. It's actually getting to the point that I need to keep track of what movies I have because I don't remember that I have already downloaded them.

No comments:

Post a Comment