Fucking double dose of bad news.
So I call the bike shop today enquiring about the status of my repairs. Hasn't been done yet. Guy looks at it, gives me a call back. I call him back. Here's some background, my bike is in the shop because the crank creaks. There are no problems with the bike's functionality. They tell me the drivetrain is worn... okay I'll do the maintenance, go fuck yourselves. The seatpost is cracked. Okay, that's interesting, but I asked you guys to fix the creaking, that's it. Well, they haven't even fucking looked at the crank/bottom bracket. So I basically told the guy I wasn't interested in anything more than what I brought the bike in for. Then I asked when it'd be done, he said maybe tomorrow (which if you didn't infer, means at the soonest on Saturday).
And I have to work in Puyallup again tomorrow. That's 3 days this week. Fuck that.
UPDATE: I left work and went to the bike shop to pick up my bike, unrepaired. I've never done anything like that before. I've never been in a situation that I felt I needed to cancel a service that I requested before it was done. I talked to a guy in there for a few minutes but he didn't convince me to keep the bike there for the repairs. He did succeed in at least making me consider it, but I am done with that shop.
Here's the perspective I had at the time I got off the phone with the shop the last time before I went to pick up the bike:
I called around noon and the guy said they hadn't looked at the problem yet but were talking about the bike earlier. The bike's not THAT expensive, but it's a Felt and Felt is an up and coming bike brand and the guy kind of said something like "Oh so that's your Felt" so it's possible that he thought I had plenty of money to dump into it. Also, it's apparent I don't take very good care of my bike, which you wouldn't think is typical of someone who can't really afford to replace it. So when they call and tell me there's a bunch of other stuff wrong with my bike, I feel like they're trying to Jiffy Lube me (a term I'd use for trying to get me to purchase a bunch of different services that I didn't come in for and they maybe don't really need to be done but they'll try to convince me that they are necessary). Even though my care of the bike is pretty poor, I don't plan on taking the bike into a shop for much, I will fix everything myself. The only reason I'd take the bike into a shop is if it'd be cheaper to do that than to fix it myself, which is what it seemed like with this issue because the tools to take apart the area of the problem are in the range of $40 and when I took the bike in the first time the guy said $15 might fix this problem (which I think you wouldn't say unless it's true, because a lot of people are a-holes when you give them a certain price verbally). So it looks like they're trying to take me for a ride, then I turn them down, ask them when they can fix the problem I brought the bike in for and they guy says "maybe tomorrow". So it sounds to me like I just got thrown back in the queue and won't have my bike back for at least 5 days after I brought it in. Fuck that, I have already been inconvenienced not having my bike over just three days, I'm not going to go without it for the weekend too, especially THIS weekend when it's supposed to be the second nice weekend of the year. And then the guy is trying to tell me the bike is not ride-able. Does he realize I rode the fucking bike there from my house? He says the seat will break and I'll crash. Guess what, I rode the bike on my trainer last night and if it didn't break then, it WOULD NOT break any time soon. Reason being that I ride on my trainer with the front wheel elevated, putting a lot more backward pressure on the seat (where the crack in the seatpost is) than I ever would while riding the bike. On top of that, I ride with my hands up on my trainer, but while riding for real, my hands are always on the handlebars and I'm leaning forward and that means it's much less likely that the seat will break and if it does, it's very unlikely that I'll fall because of it. Admittedly, though, if the seat breaks while I'm on my trainer, I could get fucked up pretty bad. But it didn't happen last night when I rode a little over an hour.
So I'm just going to, eventually, buy the tools to take apart the bottom bracket and clean it out and hope it solves my problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment