Yesterday was pretty good... for a weekday. Left work at 3. Came home and jumped on the trampoline a little bit. Went to Green Lake with Aly. We played tennis for about 40 minutes and then ran a lap. I haven't run in, oh, about 5 months, so I knew it wasn't going to end pretty. We actually ran pretty much the entire way around and I felt good most of the time. Went home and took a nap. I kept waking up with my abs being really sore. And now my quads are pretty sore, don't know what was up with my abs last night...
Played beer pong with Brandon, Aly and Daks. It was... interesting. Daks acts like a 5 year old when he's drunk enough (sounds like an exaggeration, it truly is not). Last night I said something to the effect of "I can't imagine what the house ended up looking like after you used to party with the people that used to live here" and he basically said "Yeah, we made huge messes and had lots of food fights." He tried to throw a thirty pack of beer across the beer pong table. I decided to have a cup full of chips. This would have been fine. However, Brandon comments on it after it gets hit twice. So Aly looks at it and says that because it has chips in it (it's lighter) that it's harder to make (actually, though, this just makes it more likely to tip over and easier to make because the edges of the cup are less stable, but whatever). So then Daks decides he needs to pour a bunch of beer in it, but having eaten a chip soaked in beer, I conclude this is a horrible idea and somewhere in the midst the chips end up on the floor, I'm guessing primarily due to Daks. Then Brandon says "watch out for the chips on the floor" to Daks and this just results in Daks intentionally stepping on all of the chips that were on the floor
The rest of this is rambling...
Kind of an annoying situation, Daks and I were bickering. And in his drunken stupor, we got in this silly argument about Lexus model names. He would say there were certain models, then I would correct him. And I can certainly admit that I get to be quite annoying and quite an asshole in an argument, BUT I don't do it until you challenge me and I know you're wrong, otherwise I try to be as sensitive as I can because who likes to be wrong? So he would say that his dad owns this model and his aunt owns this model and he was saying LX460 and LS470 (He started out saying GLX470, which GLX is not even a Lexus model prefix) and he was saying LX was a sedan and I was correcting him on all of this (politely) and then he'd end up saying that I was proclaiming his notions and that he was proclaiming what was right (he wasn't doing this to be annoying, he's just that stupid when he's drunk). Now, I'm not particularly passionate about Lexus model names but I have a pretty good memory when it comes to numbers and systematic names so I knew I was right. I was right. Daks never admitted it, but that's okay.
So, since I won that argument, he pulls out and tries another angle, to say how annoying I am with my arguing tendencies (how often I argue and how persistent I am). And the point he made that really annoys me is this: "Even your best friend will admit that you will argue things into the ground and never concede." I hate this statement because if ANYONE would accuse me of that, it would be Brandon, because I have had similar (but more sensible) arguments with him. And he has a bias with bitterness towards me (because I am usually right). I would not passionately (read: annoying to my 'opponent') defend something if the other person is correct. And notice, I rarely ,if ever, proclaim to be 100% correct, but rather state that the person I'm arguing against is wrong. So, yeah, it was annoying that Daks said that and then Brandon nodded his head. The real reason that's annoying is that whenever it comes up, Brandon likes to bitch about me arguing because he holds a grudge about it. I used to argue with Rayna all the time and even though we were probably each right about half the time (maybe even me more than her) the arguments would always end with her either being on the up-side or her not admitting she was at all wrong. But I would never defend someone else that was arguing with her (unless I actually disagreed with her, which is not relevant in this situation because I believe Brandon wasn't paying attention most of the time and if he was, he'd know I was right).
I sometimes wonder if the point of an argument is even to be right anymore. It helps, but most of the stuff people argue about can't be proven. And people always put their egos on the line in an argument so compromising or admitting you're wrong isn't even an option at that point, even if any level-headed person would logically conclude such. It's like you can be wrong for an entire argument but if the argument ends with you making a point, you got the last word and seems like you won. Fringe attacks often end up trumping the original point of the argument. It seems like people can never disagree on something and simply discuss it and come to the right decision. Oh well, I suppose it only makes sense that if you get into an argument with someone about something that they have an advantage in, it's only natural to try to transition the argument into something else, right? Alright, this rant is headed down a very bleak path, I'll stop it here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment