Tuesday, September 8, 2009

('tis about 8 am right now)
Yesterday was another interesting day in Australia. We started out with a normal morning and Jono asking me if I wanted to eat breakfast here or out. I wanted to have some pancakes so we went out. I went the internet in search for a decent place and found someone saying that "Alfio's Caffe is great for thick pancakes." Well, I don't really know what thick pancakes are but it was the best sounding recommendation since a lot were just like "the eggs benedict is fantastic." So we went there and I thought it was interesting (I was not bothered by it at all) that one of the waiters handed me the 3 menus for us while we were on our way to being seated (by a different waiter). It's completely practical, but you'd never see anything like it in the states. Also, you are not expected to tip here, at all. That is lovely.

I got the Yorkshire pancakes. It was 8 dollars for 3 pancakes, which is a relatively cheap amount for a meal, dining out here. The pancakes were simply unbelievable. These pancakes are, no contest, the best I've ever had. They did taste a tad bit fried, so that would help explain why there's no contest (I don't know if the pancakes were fried or if the sauce they were in was just very high in fat). I can't even exactly remember what the description of them was, but it involved caramelized sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, a strawberry on top and a scoop of ice cream. This is hard to fathom but I was not even able to finish 3 pancakes. I suppose I could have stuffed myself, but I was so full after starting the third one that I gave up because my two comrades were done eating as well. I find it easier to not clean your plate when the people you are with don't do it either. I can't say enough how delicious it was. I'm really liking the food here.

After that we stopped home and headed out to Phillip Island for the day. Phillip Island is where the Penguin Parade is and also where you can see koalas and several other smaller attractions. First thing we just went out and grabbed tickets for the Penguin Parade and to see the koalas (a different location on the island). Stopped in Cowes for lunch and decided on fish and chips. The little cafe we went to had grease in the air, but I liked the food. Between the three of us we got 2 orders of fish and chips (it was actually some sort of Captain's Platter type meal with a variety of seafood).

Theeen we went to see the koalas, which was cool. We were able to see one from about 6 feet away and then a mom with it's baby from about 6 feet away as well. The rest were all farther away in trees. I was amazed to read that koalas can jump 6 feet from branch to branch, because they move so slow in the tree, you wouldn't expect them to be able to do much anything that requires energy. Saw quite a few wallabies around the woodland area (the setting was a "sanctuary" which just means it's a business set up on the outside of wilderness so animals can feel at home and humans can charge money for allowing access to see them).

We finished there and were headed back to the penguin area of the island, but we were a little early so we went to The Nobbies, where Seal Rocks is. I did not see any seals, however, it was extremely extremely windy. We were at a point, I believe, that there is nothing between it and Antarctica. The scenery was beautiful and the waves were enormous. Left right before it started raining (which it had been doing on and off throughout the day).

Then there was the epic experience of the Penguin Parade. I'll be honest and say that for being one of the top tourist attractions, I don't think this is that big of a deal. It is interesting that you can see penguins, consistently, every night as they go from the water to land. But they're so tiny, I'd rather see giant penguins. I didn't even know there were penguins that were this small, they were about the size of the seagulls that were also around. So the area for seating opens up around 5:45 and the penguins are expected to march around 6:30. Of course we want good seats so we wait by the door and we're in position for good seats. We get good seats. However, it's at the beach where it is raining, windy and quite cold. I can think of no reason why you would sit in such a miserable situation other than this one, so I think it's quite unique for that. The first problem was the seats being wet, which we found a way around. But then the rain was picking up, so all of our clothes were getting wet. The jackets were kind of okay with this, but jeans not so much. So we waited and waited for the penguins and they came out in their quirky way and that was interesting and then we headed back for the car. I think all of us were experiencing some numbness around the face and legs, especially since to look at the penguins we had to look into the wind/rain. So that was an experience.

On the way back I napped a little. I forgot to mention on the drive there Jono and I talked a lot about "politics" but more political issues of US and Australia and it would be more accurate to call them sociopolitical issues, because I don't really care for politician-politics. I woke up and we were being pulled over, wtf. So we pull over and Jono gets his stuff ready, gives it to the officer. The officer asks a few questions, takes the info back to his car, comes back and says you're good to go. He got pulled over for no reason at all, which apparently isn't that unusual here. Annoying. Got home, ordered pizza, hung out and went to bed. Jacket and jeans were still wet after a hot 1.5 hour ride home, too. I have been so tired come 10 pm that I haven't even drank alcohol here, yet. Oh, and Jono's mom bought me a book of mammals in Australia. How nice is that!? Cool stuff. And I guess we're having Rayna's favorite on Thursday, roasted lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment