So I don't really remember when I last updated. I'm guessing it was the morning of the day before I left, so that would have been Monday morning. I'm just going to guess what was done since then.
We went to St. Kilda Beach, that was cool and I pretty much checked the last thing off my list with that. We watched some "Summer Heights High" which is a pretty funny show. Went to Shark Fin House which is a really nice Chinese place. It may not be the Flower Drum ($100/plate, one of the best restaurants in Melbourne) but it's certainly still upscale. Between the three of us (Jono, Rayna, myself) we went through two bottles of wine. And of course Jono and myself had more than our share of it, so that made the night a little better. I had shark fin soup, which I suppose I really needed to do even though it's quite overpriced. But that added another animal to the animals I ate on the vacation. After that we wandered to Section 8, an outside bar with a sort of industrial feel to it? I don't know, the seats are like box crates and stuff, but it's cool and not a bad thing. I had a jack and coke and that was sort of a key point of the trip. It was like the final track of the album and I had accepted that I was going home and jack and coke tastes like home to me. I'm not usually one for bullshit but this was a bullshit moment I experienced, so there. After that I convinced Jono and Rayna to go to $2 peeps. I don't think there's any way you can go to that place without being perverted unless you're drunk. It was really gross. Garbages full of tissues (and tissues on the floor too). Sticky floors. And then you put the money in and it's a nasty looking Indian/Aboriginal (not quite sure) girl who is trying to look serious but instead I just feel like I'm in trouble. Not exactly what the TV/Movies would lead you to expect. So yeah, that was like the bonus track of the album. Went home and may have watched an episode of Boondocks before calling it a night.
Then there was the home day. Started out going to a cafe for breakfast. The french toast was average. We left the cafe at a point where we should have made it to the airport at 9:20am, the time I'm supposed to be at the airport (2 hours early). Well, we get gas and turn onto Glenferrie road to head toward the freeway. 20 minutes later we have moved all of 100 feet or so. I'm supposed to be at the airport and we're not moving. Eventually we get to the freeway and there had been an accident on the freeway heading the other direction (which makes it odd that we had such a hard time getting to the freeway because it would seem that it would be clear in both directions... ?). I get to the airport at 10:20am and get through security and all that with time to spare. The Melbourne to Sydney flight is nothing, it's probably like flying to Spokane from Seattle. Then I got to go on another 14 hour flight, the main event. Sat next to Jittery McScatter pants middle aged Australian woman who seemed to freak out every once in a while. Managed to somehow sleep less than I did on the first long flight, only about an hour cumulative, I'm guessing. I also managed to only watch one horrible movie (The Proposal). Read the entirety of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer during the flight (just over 200 pages) so that killed a bit of time. Overall it's probably not as horrible as people might say (the 14 hour flight, at least). But then I had another 2 hour flight from San Francisco. Not to mention it was an hour and a half late. Coming back to spending USD I had to transition back to the fact that it's not okay to just kill $15 on a meal. But this last flight was probably the worst because by now I was really sick of that airplane smell. I think out of all the food I was offered on the way back (starting in Melbourne) I had maybe one meal and one snack (so maybe a third of what was offered). The smell is on some of my clothes and my carry-on.
Got home and realized that to make an egg sandwich I would need some buns, so I went to the store for that and also picked up a piece of cake. Watched Point Break. I was watching it from the start and then get tired (it was about 7:30pm) and just fell alseep leaning over onto the edge of the couch, so I supposed I missed 10 minutes or so. But then watched the rest of it with Justin and his girlfriend.
Wednesday was first day back at work. The servers had crashed on Monday and it was pretty much horrible. Still some problems when I came in that I ended up having to fix. It was nice to feel missed. Not nice to be back at work. Got gas, got my oil changed, came home and took a nap which was too long. Slept until about 8, got up and had dinner and then showed Brandon some of the first episode of Summer Heights High.
EDIT update: I forgot something that happened in the San Fran airport. I had just gotten through customs, which took way too long (and all the lines around me were moving very slow, which is maddening, so I couldn't even move over into another line but the lines a few down were flying through...). Then I need to go to the screen to find out what gate my flight is at and there are a bunch of people diddly daddlin' so I have to weave my way through some people. There's also a little girl wandering around aimlessly in this area. Let me start this out by saying this: I do not almost run into her. I see her, I see where I'm going, they are two different places. She's walking in circles or some stupid crap and while I'm already stopped, looking at my flight info, she walks within a foot of me. Doesn't run into me, not even that close. Then I hear this "excuse me" and assume that it's not toward me. "Excuse me sir." So I look to where it's coming from, the guy is looking at me. "You almost ran into my daughter." And at this point I'm just kind of dumbfounded. I'm irritable, impatient, and now I have this doofus motherfucker telling me I almost ran into his daughter that he can't keep control of. I have this skill, lately, of handling situations perfectly (in my opinion) even if I'm not sure of myself when it happens. I just say "She almost ran into ME" because obviously there's no reasoning with this idiot with regard to his daughter. Then he says "She's a 4 year old girl" and I just give him a whatever look and walk off. Now, I would have loved to rip into this guy, but I was at an airport, needing to be home as soon as possible (I got home 12 hours before needing to wake up for work, to give you an idea of the amount of time I could afford to lose) and I'd have to believe getting in a fight at the airport is probably a really stupid thing to do. But I thought better of the idea and was just a smartass instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment