Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So I know I've been updating each day... and it's going to be a little more difficult to remember all of yesterday but I think I can do it.

The day started with me and Jono leaving for yum cha. We missed the train by a minute so we stopped at Cibo and grabbed a coffee and then waited for the next one (this is not uncommon, at all). Take the train down to the CBD and we head to Chinatown. We get there and the restaurant is almost completely empty so we go walk around a little bit and come back and there are a few people around. The way yum cha works is that they bring around smaller sized plates or dishes quite frequently and you tell them what you want. And you can get all you can eat for a reasonable price ($16). I'm not certain, because I haven't thought about it until now, but I think taxes are included in prices, you never end up having to pay tax it seems like, which is really nice. Especially at restaurants where you're used to having to pay tax AND tip, neither of which you have to pay in Australia (both are actually included into the price of the meal).

After yum cha we were super full. But an hour later we were walking around and I wanted to stop into 7-11 for a slurpee. We were looking for shirts but I didn't find much other than a pepsi shirt where it was written in... japanese or something, which felt odd for me to want to buy in Australia so I didn't get it. Went to a bar in this big mall that's built around an old ammunition factory and played a bit of pool. It's quite expensive, $4/game, we played about 5 games I think. It's a little different here, too. The balls were just yellow and red with one black (although this is more of just a bar thing so they don't lose one ball and it ruins the set) and they are significantly smaller, which makes the game a little more difficult. Well I thought we split but Jono says I won 3-2, and I guess he doesn't like losing much, haha. I realized today that Jono, more than any other person, thinks of things in numbers like I do. He was talking about watching TV and if 5 is standard for what's on TV and then 7 is watchable, Simpsons is 7.5. And I just found that funny, even though I don't really agree on the Simpsons thing, I can easily relate to that way of thinking. After pool and beer we headed home to meet Rayna.

Lazed around for an hour or two, watched Brides of Christ and other crap. Then we (Jono, Rayna, myself now) headed back into town, went to some bar where the Carlton tasted like crap. Then the next two beers were alright and Jono had to buy more stuff to use a card which ended up with 4 shots of tequila at the table (their friend Leah had now shown up) along with the new jug. I wasn't enthusiastic about the tequila and then it got worse when the females refused to drink it, so Jono and I had to have 2 shots of tequila. It wasn't bad though, definitely better than Cuervo, which is kind of my point of consumability (it has to be better than Cuervo). And of course by the time we left that bar I was getting pretty wasted. It was still only 7 pm I think. We ended up at some Italian restaurant. To think it was a Wednesday night is kind of crazy. Places in Seattle on a Wednesday night are never that busy. It was so loud and packed in there. I ended up getting veal with mashed potatoes, which was pretty good.

After Italian we headed to Ding Dong, the bar that Jono's brother, Matt, was mixing (sound tech) at. Before going in Jono was jonesin for some ice cream so he got us Golden Gaytimes which were much better tasting than it sounds. The bar where the band was playing was super indie, skinny jeans all around (not a whole lot of people were there though). There was a classic guy wearing these really tight snow leopard pants. They weren't exactly snow leopard, but they were sort of leopard print with white and black, tacky as shit. Then these two people showed up and it was very clear what was going to happen next when the guy took off his jacket, stretch out his arms and kind of marveled at his outstretched arms indicating he was high as shit. Then he looks at the girl across the table and she starts cracking up, high as shit too. Then of course they're going to start making out, hopefully not having sex. The band had a decent sound but the decent sound got old when it just kept sounding the same for 30 minutes. They had a female drummer, I thought that was a little odd that a bad with one female had her doing the drums. But it was a little fascinating to watch a girl play the drums. Jono spilled his beer on the table and normal someone would come around to clean it up, but for the remainder of the 15 minutes we were there, it just sat, and then probably for quite a while after we left.

Headed to the train station and then stopped in a store because Jono needed more ice cream. Waited for the train while Jono ate like 3 more ice cream bars. Haha. And of course dialogue at this point was pretty hilarious, not that that's any different from the rest of the night. The train was PACKED at 10:00 pm, I was a bit surprised. And I recall this older guy that really stood out to me as the most smug guy on the train. Came home and headed to bed shortly after. I like how you can have a night out here and not compromise either your night's sleep or your morning for it (time wise, not necessarily hangover wise). Yeah, I do have a slight hangover. Water is much more expensive and more difficult to come by here, so I haven't been drinking nearly as much as I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment