Sunday, February 22, 2009

So yesterday I went for a bike ride around 3. It was fun. I was doing pretty good, got to Marymoor in under an hour so it was around 18.2 miles at 19 mph average. I think I have finished the ride or gotten to Marymoor with a 20 mph average but that was only once, so I'm definitely happy with 19 mph average there. Around 22 miles my speedometer decided to stop working after I went over a bump so the rest of the ride was speedometer-less. It has been very good to me until recently.

So on the bike ride, unfortunately, I was just plagued with memories of all the really annoying types of people you encounter in cycling and in the cycling community. The most annoying and the kind that you are reminded of constantly, if you pass a lot of people, are the people that complain when you don't say "on your left". Now, it would be a good idea to say "on your left" when you're passing someone, however, when you pass 100 people every time you go riding the idea is a little bit ridiculous. I usually end up saying it about 5 times either when people are going almost as fast as me (so the pass isn't as fast) or when they look a little unpredictable. The people that bitch about people not saying "on your left" are the same people that almost never have to say it because they are slow... and lame.

Which also leads into my next beef. There are people that get PISSED if you pass on the right. And these people also CAN NOT pass on the right. Under any circumstances they must pass on the left. I passed a guy on the right yesterday and he had no problem with it. It is a good system to follow to always pass people on the left and I pass on the left about 98% of the time but you occasionally encounter people that don't understand that you're supposed to ride on the right side of the path and that you're supposed to stay on that side unless you're passing. My beef with these left-side-pass-only people is that there are situations where it is simply safer to pass on the right. I am pretty good at assessing the safety of a situation on the bike, I feel, having ridden probably 16-1800 miles last year and not running into anyone, hitting anyone and also while passing a lot of people. But yeah, there was this guy on a ride, I think Flying Wheels, and we were going down a hill and he was on the left side of the shoulder and to the right of him was clear space, to the left of him was the lane for cars. I was not trying to pass him but compared to most people on a 100 mile ride my body is rather dense so I will end up going faster downhills whether I'm trying or not. Well, I come up on his right side, not even trying to pass him, just going, and he's like "pass on the left" and I just ignore him and pass him. The main problem I have with this guy is that he puts himself in a situation to be passed on the right, which should never happen.

But yeah, I think I piss a few people off every time I ride my bike. I say as long as I don't get in any wrecks and don't actually inconvenience anyone, I'm doing fine and don't need to change a thing.

Last night I went to bed around 2 and not that long after that Aly knocks on my door and says people are coming over. But it turns out just Jeremy came over, which was fine by me. We played ping pong, then beer pong. Good stuff. Went to bed around 4.

Drained the water heater yesterday. I've got cuts all over my hands from I don't know what but it has to do with shit I'm doing to deal with the water heater. I bought a 500 watt work light to keep the water from moving too far into my room. I have been wringing out wet towels since yesterday and it's absurd the amount of water that they are picking up in short periods of time. But, like I said, I drained the water heater, so now we have no hot water in the house but once I dry my closet it will be all good. Water heater is coming in tomorrow. Soon enough life will return to normal.

Song: Afroman - "Colt 45" (I think it's also called "Crazy Rap")

No comments:

Post a Comment