Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So I'm kind of scoping out where I want to walk today. My body is a little sore but I gotta keep on the exercise thing so that's why I am going for a walk. I'm looking to go to the Washington Park Arboretum and I go to the Wikipedia article and it mentions something about expanding the 520 floating bridge. Then I get to thinking about that bridge you go up as you go from Montlake onto I-5... and what if it wasn't there. What if none of that shit was there. Life would be so much easier, I think. And I'll go ahead and say 9 times out of 10 that someone says "life would be so much easier" they are off base, hopefully I'm that one that's right when I say it.

I feel like the development of transportation has really ruined a lot of adventure for people. Well, people like myself at least. Living in Seattle, it's really no big deal if you've been to New York, LA, Florida... anywhere in the US, who cares. It's only natural to create more sophisticated forms of travel, but I think we overdid it. I think flight has ruined a lot more adventures than it has created.

I mean how great would it be to just travel for a living? Society makes it a lot more difficult than it should be. And it makes it less enjoyable. I could hike to Mt. Rainier from where I live and that would make my year. I'd probably make some really good friends and see a bunch of new places and it'd be awesome to return and share my adventure. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that wouldn't be fun. But it'd be more notable than working during the day and doing something meaningless when I come home and then doing other meaningless things over the weekend.

It's hard to think objectively on the matter and also to come to a sound conclusion. Being a member of society, I find joy in things I can share with other people, things that make me out to be a grand person. So I can't say that I'd prefer State of Nature or anything like that, I feel like I would not prefer that. But I think about the best times of my life and they are when I'm on an adventure, doing something new. Good times can be had building relationships with people and I'm sure that's part of the fun in adventures, but nothing compares to the thrill of going new places, seeing completely foreign things, seeing things that not everyone has seen.

I'm done for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment