I am constantly faced with these conundrums.
For example, I've been debating with regard to abortion and the result is... interesting. I don't debate about when something becomes human or any of those issues that are inevitably cats games. I posted a response this morning and as I typed it out, I kind of came to a conclusion which would make sense to me any time in the recent past but I would have never been able to put it together in words until now.
Basically, what I said was that in life, there is no legitimate policy of fairness. To explain in full would be impossible, I probably don't even fully comprehend the notion. But to elaborate in one instance, let's use law. Laws are said to be fair, just, what have you. However, it has nothing to do with "fairness". The force of law is a preference of a group of people with the power to uphold it. That is why law has not always been "fair." The intent of law is not fairness, but rather to preserve power in the hands that are enforcing it... or are able to enforce it, to elaborate the point a bit. These concepts are a little bit more difficult for Americans to understand, I would imagine, because our laws are pretty close to what is deemed fair. I attribute that to us being a democracy and having a fair amount of trial and error in the history of the law. But this whole idea of ethics is a farce. Ethics are just preference, maybe with a sprinkle of rationale, but it's personal preference. Maybe you don't want to get robbed, but there's really nothing that says it's wrong. Society and civilization to change the game a little bit, but technically the concept of wrong is still fabricated (as is the concept of right, unless you just think things that happen are right, otherwise they would not happen). Laws really just extend our lives and allow us to survive more easily. I know that is a bunch of blabber, but it reflects my attempt at stripping down a concept that is hammered into our heads.
So I wonder if this is a breakthrough, or if it's just my logic spilling out a little bit. Did I actually learn anything or does it just feel like that because I've applied my knowledge to something new? Ugh, then I get into this cycle. Essentially what I'm saying is that nothing is "right" or "wrong". So why the hell am I debating abortion with people? I'm debating their legitimacy in calling something wrong, but in doing that I'm calling them wrong... SHIT. I'm not saying anything's right or wrong, but by calling them wrong, aren't I calling something right? If not at the very least saying that I'm right. I guess I can try to say freedom is right... but what if not everyone wants freedom? Freedom is something we naturally desire (I think)... but we also naturally enjoy power, so natural feelings can't be proven "right". Ugh. Whatever. Fuck me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment